LDF stalls Kerala Assembly over solar scam
Thiruvananthapuram: Continuing to target Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on the solar panel scam, the CPI(M)-led LDF Opposition on Wednesday stalled proceedings in the Assembly for the third consecutive day.
After seeking leave for an adjournment motion on "police excesses" on youth marchers over the issue for the last two days, LDF members raised the demand for Chandy`s resignation alleging he had links with the scam accused Saritha Nair and Biju Radhakrishnan, who financially cheated many people by promising them solar panel solutions and agencies.
Placard-wielding and slogan-shouting LDF members trooped into the well of the House during the zero hour, forcing Speaker G Karthikeyan to cut short the day`s sitting.
Seeking leave for the motion, VS Sunilkumar (CPI) accused UDF government of trying to cover up irregularities in the `CM office` and divert the course of investigation.
Trying to take the wind out of the opposition sails, Home Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan said there was no truth whatsoever in the opposition allegation that the fake company had been given orders to install solar panels in many government institutions including Chief Minister`s official residence.
Only those companies approved by the state`s non-conventional energy agency Anert had been given orders. "We have not given a minor favour worth Rs 10 to the company under question. Then where is the question of heaping favours worth crores of rupees to the company, as being alleged by LDF," he said.
After the House adjourned, LDF members marched out of the Assembly hall and staged a sit-in for a while in front of the Legislature complex.
The issue has been disrupting proceedings in the House for the last three days and feeder outfits of CPI-M and CPI have been running a campaign across the state.
The chief minister has ruled out his resignation holding that he has not done anything wrong. But two of his personal staff were sacked last week after they were found to have made frequent calls to the accused in the case.
The government had entrusted the case to a special team of investigators headed by ADGP (South Zone).
The accused in the case, Saritha and Biju Radhakrishnan, have been arrested and remanded to custody.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000