LDF walkout in Assembly over palmolein case
Thiruvananthapuram: Noisy scenes were witnessed in the Kerala Assembly on Thursday as the CPI(M)-led LDF opposition staged a walkout over the politically sensitive palmolein import case.
A vigilance court here had last month ordered a fresh probe into Chief Minister Oommen Chandy`s alleged role in the case.
However, the High Court had on Tuesday stayed for a month the vigilance court order.
Seeking leave for an adjournment motion on the High Court order in a petition filed by senior IAS officer and fifth accused in the case Jiji Thomson, LDF alleged that the High Court passed such an order as the government pleader took a stand favourable to Thomson.
Moving notice for the motion, VS Sunil Kumar(CPI) alleged that the government pleader, who appeared in the case was a "Congress activist" and "failed to bring to the notice of the court" the relevant provisions that stipulate that no court has the power to stay investigation in corruption cases.
He said Thomson filed the petition "on behalf of Chandy" and it was a clear case of "collusion" between Chandy, Finance and Law Minister KM Mani and Advocate General.
Rebutting the allegation, Mani said it was against rules and procedures to discuss a matter pending before a court.
Intervening on the matter, Chandy said he had already made his stand clear on the issue and would not do anything to obstruct the probe.
Before walking out, opposition leader VS Achuthanandan said the government was trying to scuttle the progress of the case by misusing official machinery. The government was trying to `intimidate` judiciary leading to vigilance court judge PK
Haneefa deciding to recuse himself from the case, he said.
Haneefa announced his decision to withdraw from the case holding that there were some personnel attack on him through media, after government Chief Whip PC George lodged a complaint against the judge with President and Supreme Court
Judge questioning his impartiality in the case.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi