LDF walkout in Assembly over palmolein case
Thiruvananthapuram: Noisy scenes were witnessed in the Kerala Assembly on Thursday as the CPI(M)-led LDF opposition staged a walkout over the politically sensitive palmolein import case.
A vigilance court here had last month ordered a fresh probe into Chief Minister Oommen Chandy`s alleged role in the case.
However, the High Court had on Tuesday stayed for a month the vigilance court order.
Seeking leave for an adjournment motion on the High Court order in a petition filed by senior IAS officer and fifth accused in the case Jiji Thomson, LDF alleged that the High Court passed such an order as the government pleader took a stand favourable to Thomson.
Moving notice for the motion, VS Sunil Kumar(CPI) alleged that the government pleader, who appeared in the case was a "Congress activist" and "failed to bring to the notice of the court" the relevant provisions that stipulate that no court has the power to stay investigation in corruption cases.
He said Thomson filed the petition "on behalf of Chandy" and it was a clear case of "collusion" between Chandy, Finance and Law Minister KM Mani and Advocate General.
Rebutting the allegation, Mani said it was against rules and procedures to discuss a matter pending before a court.
Intervening on the matter, Chandy said he had already made his stand clear on the issue and would not do anything to obstruct the probe.
Before walking out, opposition leader VS Achuthanandan said the government was trying to scuttle the progress of the case by misusing official machinery. The government was trying to `intimidate` judiciary leading to vigilance court judge PK
Haneefa deciding to recuse himself from the case, he said.
Haneefa announced his decision to withdraw from the case holding that there were some personnel attack on him through media, after government Chief Whip PC George lodged a complaint against the judge with President and Supreme Court
Judge questioning his impartiality in the case.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog