LDF walkout in Kerala Assembly over Vizhinjam port
Thiruvananthapuram: The CPI(M)-led LDF opposition on Monday staged a walkout in the Kerala Assembly, accusing the UDF government of colluding with vested interests and trying to sabotage the proposed International Transshipment Terminal project at nearby Vizhinjam.
Opposition Leader V S Achuthanandan led his colleagues out of the House after an adjournment notice on the issue given by Jameela Prakasham (JD-S) was turned down by Speaker G Kartikeyan in the light of the government`s rejection of the LDF charge.
Replying to the notice of Prakasham, who represents the segment where the project is located, Minister for Ports K Babu said the government was actively pursuing the project in a thorough and transparent manner.
There was no room for any apprehension that the project would be given up under pressure from "outside" lobbies as being alleged by the opposition, Babu said.
Seeking leave for the motion, Prakasam drew the attention of the government to an indefinite fast being undertaken by a group of local campaigners against the government`s bid to `sabotage` the project.
She said it was regrettable that the government did not bother to even take note of this agitation, let alone call the protesters for a talk.
Joining issue, Achuthanandan alleged that the `Land Lord` mode of development was adopted for development of the project as bids to find a private partner repeatedly failed.
Now concerted moves were on to revert to PPP model, which would in effect mean getting the project sabotaged, he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you