LDF walkout in Kerala Assembly over Vizhinjam port
Thiruvananthapuram: The CPI(M)-led LDF opposition on Monday staged a walkout in the Kerala Assembly, accusing the UDF government of colluding with vested interests and trying to sabotage the proposed International Transshipment Terminal project at nearby Vizhinjam.
Opposition Leader V S Achuthanandan led his colleagues out of the House after an adjournment notice on the issue given by Jameela Prakasham (JD-S) was turned down by Speaker G Kartikeyan in the light of the government`s rejection of the LDF charge.
Replying to the notice of Prakasham, who represents the segment where the project is located, Minister for Ports K Babu said the government was actively pursuing the project in a thorough and transparent manner.
There was no room for any apprehension that the project would be given up under pressure from "outside" lobbies as being alleged by the opposition, Babu said.
Seeking leave for the motion, Prakasam drew the attention of the government to an indefinite fast being undertaken by a group of local campaigners against the government`s bid to `sabotage` the project.
She said it was regrettable that the government did not bother to even take note of this agitation, let alone call the protesters for a talk.
Joining issue, Achuthanandan alleged that the `Land Lord` mode of development was adopted for development of the project as bids to find a private partner repeatedly failed.
Now concerted moves were on to revert to PPP model, which would in effect mean getting the project sabotaged, he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS