LDF walkout on private engineering colleges` issue
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI-M led LDF Opposition in Kerala on Friday staged a walkout dissatisfied with the government response to a High court order regarding effective steps to improve the quality of education in private engineering colleges.
Both Chief Minister Oommen Chandy and Education Minister P K Abdu Rabb assured the House that government would adhere to the court directions and take steps to ensure that infrastructure and faculty in private professional colleges were of high-quality.
Seeking leave for an adjournment motion on the court order asking government either to close down the sub-standard colleges or take steps to improve the quality of education, CPI-M member Sreeramakrishan wanted government to take steps to rein in the private colleges which, he said, were functioning with commercial interest.
The court had also made the observation that pass percentage in most of these institutions was very low.
Rabb said the state government was yet to receive the copy of the court order. Government would examine the order and take steps, he said.
However, he said it was not practical to close down the private colleges where the pass percentage was less than 40 per cent as it would lead to several other social problems.
Government would come out with guidelines for functioning of private colleges in the light of the High Court observation, he said.
CPI-M Deputy leader in the House Kodiyeri Balakrishnan resented government`s attitude towards the issue and said it was viewing the matter very lightly and staged a walkout.
Speaker G Karhtikeyan refused leave for the motion after Chandy and Rabb replied.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees