LDF walkout over `assault` on MLA
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI(M) led LDF Opposition
members staged a walkout from the Assembly on Tuesday in protest
against government`s `failure` to take action against a police
officer who allegedly beat up a CPI-M MLA on March 14.
MLA K Dasan, representing Quilandy Assembly segment, raised
the matter through a submission and created a flutter by
producing a blood stained shirt which he claimed was due to
injuries sustained when police `manhandled` him.
The incident occurred when he went to the police station
at his constituency on their request to settle a dispute
between two parties.
Not satisfied with Chief Minister Oommen Chandy`s reply
that he had asked for a detailed report from police on the
incident, LDF members led by opposition leader V S
Achuthanandan trooped out of the House.
The opposition was also irked by Chandy`s poser to Dasan
whether the blood on the shirt he had brought to the Assembly
was his own.
Achuthanandan said Chandy`s reference amounted to
`insulting` the MLA and demanded immediate suspension of the
police officer responsible.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement