LDF walkout over Ganesh Kumar issue
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI-M led LDF opposition in Kerala on Tuesday tried to corner ruling UDF by raising the issue of the alleged extra-marital affair of Forest Minister K B Ganesh Kumar in the Assembly and later staged a walkout, dissatisfied with Chief Minister Oommen Chandy`s reply.
Even before the matter was raised in the House, Chandy made it clear that media reports on the matter were baseless, but admitted that some family issue is involved.
He asked the Opposition to introspect on whether it was right to raise the issue in the house based on such reports, that, too, on family matters.
He denied reports that Kumar`s wife had given a complaint to him, seeking action against her husband under the Domestic Violance Act. "She came and talked to me about some grievances. But she did not hand over any complaint", he said.
Chandy also denied reports that Kumar was beaten up by the husband of a woman with whom he allegedly had an affair.
However, an unyielding opposition pointed out that it was not they who had levelled the charge against Kumar, but the government Chief Whip P C George.
They sought to know from Chandy why no action was taken against George for levelling a false charge against the minister.
Seeking notice for an adjournment on the issue, A Pradeepkumar (CPI-M), said the Chief Minister has committed a `serious mistake` by refusing to accept the complaint from Kumar`s wife and asked Chandy to initiate action against George for his false allegation against Kumar.
Based on a newspaper report that a minister was beaten up by the husband of a woman with whom he had an affair, George, a nominee of KC-M, had triggered a row on March 3, saying that the minister involved was Kumar.
Kumar, the actor-politician, belonging to Kerala Congress (B), had denied the allegation and had said that George`s statement amounted to character assassination. He also charged George with having a personal grudge against him.
Before the walkout, Opposition leader V S Achuthanandan said Chandy was not straight forward on the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot