LDF workers stage dharna against hike in prices of food items
Thiruvananthapuram: CPI(M) led LDF Opposition workers Friday staged a dharna before the Secretariat here, demanding that the Centre and State governments check rise in prices of essential commodities.
Inaugurating the agitation, CPI(M) veteran and leader of Opposition in the Assembly, V S Achuthanandan criticised the economic policies of both the NDA government led by Narendra Modi and Oommen Chandy led UDF government in Kerala.
"Both the Modi and Chandy governments are responsible for the spurt in prices of food items,” he said, adding LDF would intensify its agitation in the coming days.
Terming the rise in prices as `war on people`, he said the policies pursued by the NDA are totally against the interests of the common man.
Alleging that the NDA government has ignored Kerala, Achuthanandan said the Railway budget had not considered any of the state`s long-pending demands.
In the general budget also, the state was neglected, he said, adding Kerala`s dream scheme like All India Institute of Medical Sciences was not sanctioned.
"The common man`s life has become strenuous due to increase in prices of commodities. The price of one kg rice which was Rs 21 a few months back has jumped to Rs 40 to Rs 45. Similar is the case with prices of vegetables," he added.
Achuthanandan also took a dig at Chandy, saying he had no time to intervene in matters related to the people, but was mainly engaged in the excercise of cabinet reshuffle.
The CPI(M) leader made it clear that government cannot `hoodwink` the people with this action.
Several LDF MLAs were among those who participated in the dharna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- President Pranab Mukherjee appoints Kiran Bedi as Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry
- Borrowing immune cells can help fight cancer
- Nearly half of all heart attacks may be 'silent'
- Seven crucial points new BCCI president Anurag Thakur raised during maiden press conference
- MUST WATCH VIDEO: 84* off 18 balls - You wont believe who is batting....