Leaders plunge into campaign in Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: With the voting for Lok Sabha just three weeks away, leaders of ruling Congress-led UDF and opposition LDF have plunged into campaign in Kerala, which gives 20 members to the lower house of Parliament.
Though not a major force in the state`s bipolar polity, the BJP has also geared up for a high-voltage electioneering mainly focusing on its icon Narendra Modi.
The fledgling Aam Admi Party (AAP) has also entered the fray fielding candidates in some of the seats, expressing the hope that the voters disenchanted with `traditional politics` would support it.
Both the UDF and the LDF have already held their initial conventions in constituencies, setting the tone and tenor of the campaign extolling the key national and local themes and sending out workers to the grass roots.
Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, KPCC president V M Sudheeran and his predecessor Ramesh Chennithala are the main campaigners for the Congress, which is contesting 15 seats while leaving the remaining five to its allies-- Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) two and Kerala Congress (M), SJD and RSP one each.
Congress veteran in the state and Defence Minister A K Antony will soon be joining his colleagues as his presence is expected to boost the prospects of the UDF candidates.
Though for the CPI(M) state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan is the key strategist and campaigner, party veteran and Leader of the Opposition V S Achuthanandan has been roped in for run-up as he continues to be a crowd-puller in any nook and cranny of the state.
The octogenarian`s rivals in the party have set aside their grouse against time for time being as services are inevitable, and also proved highly beneficial, during the elections.
The state is set to witness several key contests as six Union ministers and senior leaders are in the fray.
The ministers seeking re-election include Shashi Tharoor (Thiruvananthapuram ), K V Thomas (Ernaklulam), Mullapally Ramchandran (Vatkara), Kodikunnil Suresh (Mavelikkara), K C Venugopal (Alappuzha) and E Ahamed (Malappuram).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional