Lecturer attack: Pillai clarifies remarks on NIA probe; admits mistake
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Government has not
asked for an NIA probe into the attack on a college lecturer,
whose right hand was chopped off allegedly by activists of
radical outift PFI, Union Home Secretary G K Pillai said on Monday
admitting his earlier remark to the contrary was a "mistake".
"What I said earlier was a result of misunderstanding of
an intimation report sent by the state which said the case of
the college lecturer also involved some charges coming under
the NIA Act. This was meant as an information and not as
request for NIA to take up the case," he told reporters here.
Pillai had earlier stated in Kollam that the state
government had asked the Centre to order a probe by the
National Investigation Agency into the lecturer attack case.
He had said the Centre would examine the state
government`s letter and take a decision on NIA probe.
Prof T J Joseph was attacked on July 4 for allegedly
preparing a question paper with derogatory reference to
Clarifying his remarks here after reviewing the security
situation with top police officials, Pillai said the Kerala
Government did not ask for an NIA probe and the statement made
by him at Kollam was result of a "mistake".
Pillai said he was making "this correction" after checking
up the details with the Centre.
He said during his discussions with state DGP and other
senior officials, he was told that the state police was
continuing with the investigation into the case and it had
Joseph has been sacked by the Christian-run Newman College
on the ground that he had hurt religious sentiments. His
family had denied the charge and said he would challenge the
dismissal in court.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town