Left-led alternative alone can save country:Raja
Thiruvananthapuram: Accusing the UPA Government of pushing the country to an unprecedented "political, economic and moral crisis", CPI national secretary D Raja today said a Left-led alternative could alone save the nation from the grim scenario.
Addressing the concluding session of the five-day dharna organised by CPI here against the "anti-people polices" of the Centre, Raja said a Left-led alternative of progressive and democratic forces did not mean a mere political combination but an alliance that could put in place alternative policies and programmes to those of Congress and BJP.
"The country is passing through an unprecedented crisis. It is not just an economic or political crisis. It is also a moral crisis. Since Independence, India has not confronted such a situation", Raja said, referring to recent charges levelled against Robert Vadra and BJP president Nitin Gadkari by India Against Corruption.
"Now, there is a talk of the entire system collapsing. The country is slipping into instability. Do you think that the country could be saved. Yes, The country could be saved by the Left intervening effectively in the situation and fighting back", he said.
Raja said the prime task of Indian Left was to strengthen unity of the "democratic, progressive and patriotic sections" to fight the policies of the Manmohan Singh government. But if this goal had to be achieved, it was important to organise a series of struggles against the policies of the Government which had threatened the life of the masses and livelihood of the poor.
Raja said the central theme of allegations against Vadra
and Gadkari involved land and it was for the Left to take up the issue vigorously and launch strong agitations for land reforms.
Alleging that the UPA Government`s sole priority was to "protect" the interests of big national corporates and multi national companies, he said, the collapse of the Kingfisher Airline was a classic case in point.
"Kingfisher was showcased as a success story of liberalisation. Now what has happened to the success story. It is for the government to answer it", he said.
Coming to the Kerala scene, he said the state which had been known for communal harmony for long was now faced with the danger of communal polarisation.
Communal and casteist forces are trying to polarise the society and the Congress-led UDF Government led by Chief Minister Oommen Chandy would be held responsible for this dangerous situation, he added.
The five-day protest at the Martyrs` Column in the city was inaugurated by CPI general secretary Sudhakar Reddy earlier this week.
The protest, which drew hundreds of party workers, highlighted issues like price rise, curtailing of LPG subsidy and FDI in retail, over which CPI and other Left parties have launched a nationwide campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly