Legal action will be taken against violent acts: CM
Kannur (Ker): Asserting that government will not shirk from its duty, Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on Friday said legal action would be taken against every act of violence allegedly committed by CPI(M) in Kannur following the arrest of their leader P Jayarajan in a murder case.
"It is the government`s duty to take action against any type of violence. Government will not shirk from its duty," he told reporters after visiting DCC office here which was damaged during a hartal called by CPI-M on August 2 to protest Jayarajan`s arrest in connection with the murder of an IUML activist in February.
"If anti-social elements are behind the violence in Kannur as claimed by the CPI(M), why is that party protesting when legal action is taken against people who indulged in violence?," Chandy asked.
Alleging that CPI-M activists had indulged in widespread violence after Jayarajan`s arrest, he said the party should refrain from such violence.
On the new contributory pension scheme, which is to be implemented in the state from 2013, Chandy said it would not have any negative impact on anyone and even people, who are protesting against the scheme, were well aware of it.
The employees were not against the scheme, he said, adding, most states had implemented it.
On Nelliyampathy forest land issue concerning takeover of estates whose lease period had expired, he said, "It will be solved in the right way."
To a query, he said the Defence ministry was probing the death of a Keralite soldier in Jammu and Kashmir.
Chandy is here to visit rain-ravaged places in Kannur and Kozhikode districts.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof