Legal action will be taken against violent acts: CM
Kannur (Ker): Asserting that government will not shirk from its duty, Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on Friday said legal action would be taken against every act of violence allegedly committed by CPI(M) in Kannur following the arrest of their leader P Jayarajan in a murder case.
"It is the government`s duty to take action against any type of violence. Government will not shirk from its duty," he told reporters after visiting DCC office here which was damaged during a hartal called by CPI-M on August 2 to protest Jayarajan`s arrest in connection with the murder of an IUML activist in February.
"If anti-social elements are behind the violence in Kannur as claimed by the CPI(M), why is that party protesting when legal action is taken against people who indulged in violence?," Chandy asked.
Alleging that CPI-M activists had indulged in widespread violence after Jayarajan`s arrest, he said the party should refrain from such violence.
On the new contributory pension scheme, which is to be implemented in the state from 2013, Chandy said it would not have any negative impact on anyone and even people, who are protesting against the scheme, were well aware of it.
The employees were not against the scheme, he said, adding, most states had implemented it.
On Nelliyampathy forest land issue concerning takeover of estates whose lease period had expired, he said, "It will be solved in the right way."
To a query, he said the Defence ministry was probing the death of a Keralite soldier in Jammu and Kashmir.
Chandy is here to visit rain-ravaged places in Kannur and Kozhikode districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo