Legal action will be taken against violent acts: CM
Kannur (Ker): Asserting that government will not shirk from its duty, Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on Friday said legal action would be taken against every act of violence allegedly committed by CPI(M) in Kannur following the arrest of their leader P Jayarajan in a murder case.
"It is the government`s duty to take action against any type of violence. Government will not shirk from its duty," he told reporters after visiting DCC office here which was damaged during a hartal called by CPI-M on August 2 to protest Jayarajan`s arrest in connection with the murder of an IUML activist in February.
"If anti-social elements are behind the violence in Kannur as claimed by the CPI(M), why is that party protesting when legal action is taken against people who indulged in violence?," Chandy asked.
Alleging that CPI-M activists had indulged in widespread violence after Jayarajan`s arrest, he said the party should refrain from such violence.
On the new contributory pension scheme, which is to be implemented in the state from 2013, Chandy said it would not have any negative impact on anyone and even people, who are protesting against the scheme, were well aware of it.
The employees were not against the scheme, he said, adding, most states had implemented it.
On Nelliyampathy forest land issue concerning takeover of estates whose lease period had expired, he said, "It will be solved in the right way."
To a query, he said the Defence ministry was probing the death of a Keralite soldier in Jammu and Kashmir.
Chandy is here to visit rain-ravaged places in Kannur and Kozhikode districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!