Legislator brings used grenades to Kerala assembly
Thiruvananthapuram: Senior CPI-M legislator E P Jayarajan on Monday created a flutter in the Kerala assembly and raised security concern when he presented two used grenades to the house while moving an adjournment motion over police brutality against students.
Trying to prove his point, Jayarajan showed the two grenades during his address to the house.
He accused police of using force against members of the CPI-M affiliated Students Federation of India (SFI) on Thursday when they were protesting at an event in which Chief Minister Oommen Chandy was to take part.
Speaker G Karthikeyan scolded the Communist Party of India-Marxist leader that the rules did not permit members to carry explosives or weapons into the house.
Karthikeyan directed Jayarajan to hand over the grenades to the security staff. The CPI-M leader obliged.
Replying to the adjournment motion, Home Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan asked the speaker to ensure that such incidents should not happen in the assembly and raised concern on the safety of its members.
"The speaker should see that this is confiscated and adequate steps are taken to see that such things are not repeated," said Radhakrishnan.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case