Lok Sabha polls: Antony express confidence of increasing Congress tally in Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: Union Defence Minister and CWC member A K Antony today expressed confidence that the Congress led ruling UDF in Kerala would win more seats in the coming Lok Sabha polls than in the last election.
During a brief interaction with reporters here, Antony said Congress and UDF got 16 Lok Sabha seats in the last polls and `I am confident that UDF will get at least one more seat than it in the coming elections".
Kerala has 20 lok sabha seats and in the last election congress won 13 seats while its partners IUML two and KC-M One.
Asked whether the seat-sharing issue with its partners would affect its performance, Antony said it was natural for coalition partners to seek more seats to contest. `All issues would be settled through talks`.
Dismissing that there were brickering in the congress, Antony said the party in the state was united and would face the polls as desired by Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi.
Meanwhile, addressing a public meeting organised by Congress in Thiruvananthapuram, Antony said country`s national ideologies were under threat.
`Congress in the country has to be strengthened to preserve the values of freedom struggle`, Antony said, adding, democratic politics, secularism, communal harmony and foreign policy of the nation were being questioned.
Without naming BJP, he said a section was trying to promote communalism for temporary gains.
Apparently referring to emergence of Aam Admi Party, he said dissatisfaction over the functioning of main stream political parties have led to a new trend in the country`s democracy. The new trend would not help the country in the long run, he said.
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- MUST WATCH: What Indian Muslims said when they were asked to say 'Vande Matram', 'Bharat Mata ki Jai'
- Uber partners Gurugram Police in a bid to curb drunken driving
- IITs have been requested to offer Sanskrit as elective subject, confirms HRD Minister Smriti Irani
- Tribute to Shaktiman: Petrol pump in Dehradun to be named after police horse
- Were these the achhe din they had promised for women: Trupti Desai on being denied entry at Haji Ali