Lottery scam in Kerala: Stage set for CBI probe
Thiruvananthapuram: Clearing the decks for a
CBI probe into alleged irregularities and corruption in the
operations of other state lotteries in Kerala, the UDF
government has issued a notification to transfer 32 related
cases to the central investigating agency.
The issuance of the notification last evening fulfilled a
legal and procedural step sought by the Centre for paving the
way for CBI probe into the allegations, a demand supported by
both UDF and LDF leaders.
The notification, under the Delhi Special Police
Establishment Act, would be handed over to the authority
concerned at the Centre by Kerala`s Resident Commissioner in
New Delhi tomorrow, official sources here said.
CBI probe into alleged corruption and irregularities in
running of Bhutan and Sikkim lotteries in Kerala by some
lottery tycoons has been a long-pending demand of the state,
supported by both the ruling UDF and the opposition LDF.
Former chief minister V S Achuthanandan, who headed the
previous LDF Ministry, had twice urged the Centre to order
the probe holding that a whopping sum of Rs 80,000 crore had
been siphoned off Kerala over the last four years through the
operation of other-state lotteries.
He had even wanted the probe to ascertain if part of the
money taken out of the state through sale of lotteries had
gone to suport subversive activities against the country.
However, the demand did not materialise as his government
did not fulfil the procedural obligation of notifiying the
cases under the relevant Act.
After assuming office last month, Chief Minister Oommen
Chandy renewed the request for the CBI probe and the state was
adviced that it should issue a notification.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days