LPG: Kerala House passes resolution
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala assembly on Monday
passed a unanimous resolution urging the Centre not to accept
the official-level recommendation to restrict supply of LPG
cylinders at subsidised rates to domestic consumers.
Raising the issue in the House through a submission, CPI-M
MLA from Beypore, Elamaram Kareem said domestic consumers are
deeply concerned over the Centre`s move to limit supply of
subsidised gas cylinders to four in an year.
The proposal, if accepted, would make the life of the
common man, already reeling under inflation, more miserable,
he said, adding that he wanted the House to discuss the issue.
During the discussion, members from both ruling and
Opposition benches echoed the sentiments expressed by Kareem.
Food and Civil Supplies Minister TM Jacob, who moved the
resolution, said consumers should get at least 12 cylinders at
subsidised rates in a year to meet their basic requirements.
He also criticised the Centre for cutting down the kerosene
quota for the state.
Former Finance Minister T M Thomas Isaac (CPI-M) said the
proposal to limit subsidised LPG cylinders to consumers was
only the first step of the Centre`s move to lift the subsidy
altogether and should be resisted with full force.
Mullakkara Rathnakaran (CPI), KNA Khader (IUML) and AK
Saseendran (NCP) were among those who took part in the
After the discussions, the House unanimously adopted the
resolution moved by Civil Supplies Minister.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today