LPG: Kerala House passes resolution
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala assembly on Monday
passed a unanimous resolution urging the Centre not to accept
the official-level recommendation to restrict supply of LPG
cylinders at subsidised rates to domestic consumers.
Raising the issue in the House through a submission, CPI-M
MLA from Beypore, Elamaram Kareem said domestic consumers are
deeply concerned over the Centre`s move to limit supply of
subsidised gas cylinders to four in an year.
The proposal, if accepted, would make the life of the
common man, already reeling under inflation, more miserable,
he said, adding that he wanted the House to discuss the issue.
During the discussion, members from both ruling and
Opposition benches echoed the sentiments expressed by Kareem.
Food and Civil Supplies Minister TM Jacob, who moved the
resolution, said consumers should get at least 12 cylinders at
subsidised rates in a year to meet their basic requirements.
He also criticised the Centre for cutting down the kerosene
quota for the state.
Former Finance Minister T M Thomas Isaac (CPI-M) said the
proposal to limit subsidised LPG cylinders to consumers was
only the first step of the Centre`s move to lift the subsidy
altogether and should be resisted with full force.
Mullakkara Rathnakaran (CPI), KNA Khader (IUML) and AK
Saseendran (NCP) were among those who took part in the
After the discussions, the House unanimously adopted the
resolution moved by Civil Supplies Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi