LPG tanker explosion toll touches 18 in Kerela
Kannur (Ker): Three more persons, including two women, succumbed to burn injuries taking the toll in Monday`s LPG tanker lorry explosion here to 18, police said.
One of the victims died at a private hospital here Saturday night, while a woman succumbed to burns at Pariyaram Medical College Hospital here this morning, they said.
Another woman undergoing treatment at a hospital in Mangalore in Karnataka also died this morning, police said.
Five more persons were battling for life with severe burns at different hospitals, they said.
Thirty five people were injured when the LPG tanker overturned and exploded after hitting a road divider at Chala near here on August 27.
Forty five houses, 40 shops and 11 vehicles were gutted in the resulting fire.
Chief minister Oommen Chandy and some of his ministerial colleagues had visited the injured and the houses of those who died a few days ago and announced solatium to the victims and free treatment for those who had suffered severe burns.
Leader of Opposition V S Achuthanandan and CPI(M) State Secretary Pinarayi Vijayan, accompanied by CPI(M) politbureau member Kodiyeri Balakrishnan and other LDF leaders had also visited the accident spot, besides houses of those who died and the injured at various hospitals.
Achuthanandan demanded that murder cases should be filed against IOC, while Vijayan demanded that state and central governments and also IOC should pay compensation to the victims.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars