Madani removes Siraj as PDP working chairman
Kollam: People`s Democratic Party supremo
Abdul Nasser Madani, who was arrested in connection with the
Bangalore blasts case, on Tuesday removed Poonthura Siraj as
working chairman of the party in an attempt to stop infighting
within the outfit.
In a letter sent from Bangalore jail, Madani informed the
senior party leaders that Akbar Ali had been appointed as the
new Working Chairman, sources said. Varkala Raj had been named
as the new general secretary in place of Gafoor Puthuppady.
Action against Siraj and Puthuppady came in the wake of
the duo engaging in a war of words, in the backdrop of civic
polls in Kerala, about the position to be taken visa vis
the Muslim League.
While Siraj favoured adjustments with the Indian Union
Muslim League, a UDF partner, Puthuppady had openly opposed
such a position.
Puthuppady had complained that Siraj was trying to take
the party to the UDF camp through the IUML route, when Madani
was away from the scene.
For long a close associate of Madani, Siraj had been the
main spokesman of the party during the dramatic events that
preceded Madani`s arrest two months ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Inside view: Hillary Clinton e-mails reveal what US thinks of India