Malayalam to soon get classical language status: Chandy
Thiruvananthapuram: Malayalam is all set to get the status of a classical Indian language, Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said on Saturday.
"Earlier, authorities did not hear our arguments properly. But when we presented our case with all documents, their stance changed and now it`s just a matter of time before Malayalam is granted the classical language status," said Chandy at a public meeting in Alappuzha, some 150 km from here.
Union Culture Minister Chandresh Kumari also announced that the ministry has decided to grant the classical language status to Malayalam.
"The procedures are over and the proposal of the ministry has been sent to the union cabinet," the minister said in the national capital Saturday.
Academics, writers and researchers have long been demanding that Malayalam be included in the classical language category.
Jnanpith awardee ONV Kurup said: "It`s just a matter of time when the world will accept Malayalam language."
In 2010, Kurup had submitted a detailed report to the then Left government in Kerala, which argued that Malayalam met all criteria set for a classical language.
Spoken by over 30 million people, Malayalam is the only major language in south India that has not been classified as the classical language.
Belonging to the family of Dravidian languages, Malayalam has a rich heritage of more than 2,300 years. The benchmark set for granting classical language status to Indian languages is 1,500-2,000 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon