Man walks 40 km through forest with pregnant wife on shoulder
Kottayam: In an effort to save his pregnant wife and their child, a man walked through forest for about 40 kms in heavy rains carrying the ailing woman on his shoulders to get her to a hospital, but failed to save the baby.
The tribal youth, Ayyappan, carrying his seven-month pregnant wife, Sudha set off for the hospital from the Konni forests on Tuesday last by about 6 AM in heavy rains.
Ayappan walked to Kokkathod, said to be about 40 km from the place he was staying in the forest, and then managed to get a jeep to take his wife to Pathnamthitta district hospital by 6 PM from where she was referred to Kottayam medical college hospital as she had convulsions.
"The woman`s life had been saved since she was carried all the way, but the baby could not be saved. Labour was induced for the delivery of the dead foetus," Dr Kunjamma Roy, Head of the Gynaecology department of the Kottayam Medical college hospital told PTI. The delivery was on Wednesday and the mother is recovering, she said.
When the woman was brought to the hospital, she had oedema, high blood pressure and convulsions. Convulsions during pregnancy can affect both mother and child, Dr Roy said.
The couple were living in the Konni forests and eked out a living by selling honey and various other products from the forest.
As media reports came in about the couple, offers of financial assistance have started pouring in.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened