Mani’s speech over political murders sparks row
Thiruvananthapuram: In a deep embarrassment to CPI(M) in Kerala, a senior functionary said there had been instances of the party eliminating its foes.
The controversial statement was made by CPI(M)`s Idukki district secretary M M Mani at a public meeting at Thodupuzha in Idukki district last night.
Mani`s speech came at a time when the party is on the defensive with the arrest of some of its activists in Kozhikode and Kannur districts in connection with the murder of Marxist rebel and RMP leader T P Chandrasekharan.
Ironically, Mani made the statement at a meeting called to explain to the public that CPI(M) had no role in the Chandrasekharan murder case.
In his sarcasm-laced speech, Mani reminded his audience of how some of the rivals of the party in Idukki district had been eliminated in the past.
Reacting to the development, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said in Thrissur that the government has taken serious note of Mani`s "revelations" and legal steps would be taken on it.
Chandy said CPI(M) state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan should give an explanation on Mani`s speech.
State DGP Jacob Punnose directed the Idukki Superintendent of Police to examine Mani`s speech and take necessary action in the matter.
As his words hit headlines in the local media, Mani later clarified that he did not say physically eliminating opponents was the party`s line but only meant it had sometimes to put up resistance to threats from opponents.
"What I said was the party had often resisted threats from opponents and in some such instances activists from both sides could have been killed", Mani told a news channel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi