Marines to be in court tomorrow for pre-trial procedures
Kerala: Setting the stage for trial in the `Enrica Lexie` ship case, two Italian marines charged with shooting to death two Indian fishermen off Kerala coast will be produced in the District and Sessions Court on Saturday.
Sessions Judge P D Rajan had issued the relevant warrant to prison authorities to produce the marines, Latore Massimilliano and Salvatore Girone, who are the first and second accused in the case.
The First Class Magistrate Court , where the case was initially considered, had a few days ago issued a committal warrant for transferring the case to Sessions Court for trial.
The marines, engaged for security of the Italian vessel Enrica Lexie, were arrested on February 19 on the charge of opening fire and killing fishermen Jalastine and Ajesh Binki who had ventured into the sea from Neendakara near here in a fishing boat which had nine others on board.
The marines have been under custody since then, mostly in the Central Prison at Thiruvananthapuram before being moved to Borstal School at Kochi a few days ago.
In a respite for the two marines, the Kerala High court had on Wednesday granted them bail with stringent conditions but they were yet to come out of detention after fulfilling the conditions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Waiting movie review: Naseer, Kalki add heft to this homage to humanism
- Pakistani beauty Saba Qamar to star opposite Irrfan Khan in 'Hindi Medium': First look OUT!
- PMO counters criticism on 'rehashed' schemes under Narendra Modi government
- Watch: NASA releases 'Metabolomics: You Are What You Eat' video!
- Women's World Boxing Championship: Sonia Lather settles for silver, loses to Italian Alessia Mesiano in 57kg final