MDMK, PDK oppose Kerala`s move for dam
Coimbatore: MDMK and Periyar Dravida Kazhagam have opposed the Kerala government`s move to build a new dam across Siruvani and demanded that the state withdraw its plan as it would affect irrigation needs of two districts and drinking water supply to Coimbatore.
Kerala has decided to revive its 30-year old proposal to construct a dam across Siruvani in Palakkad district,bordering Coimbatore district, on requests by farmers of Attappady and nearby areas to KPCC president Ramesh Chennithala.
The party`s district unit at its meeting here today urged Kerala to desist from its move, sayinig it would only sow the seeds of unrest between the two States and its people.
Tamil Nadu Farmers Association said the proposed dam would affect the flow of Bhavani river, in turn affecting irrigation needs of Coimbatore and Erode districts.
Stating that Kerala`s earlier attempts to build a dam across Bhavani had been defeated by farmers of both districts, PDK General Secretary K Ramakrishnan said the Bhavani actually originates in Nilgiris district and flows to Attapady before entering Tamil Nadu.
This would add fuel to the fire, since the relationship between two States is already strained over Mullaperiyar Dam, he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations