Menon`s social commitment worthy of emulation for all: Chandy
Thrissur: Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy today said noted industrialist and Chairman of Behzad Group of Companies, Middle East, C K Menon`s social commitment towards all, especially for the poor and downtrodden section of society, was worthy of emulation.
Inaugurating the Rs.13 million C K Menon Block of the CMS Higher Seconday School here, Chandy said Menon had liberally contributed for renovation and maintenance of the `Lakh Colony houses` given to poor people when they were in a dilapidated condition in the state. Chandy said when he made a request to Menon in this regard years ago when he was the chief minister, the industrialist had readily agreed.
It showed his commitment to thepoor and downtrodden and large-heartedness, Chandy said, adding, Menon was a former student of the school.
Having taken into consideration his selfless service to the nation and particularly for Kerala, Central government conferred on him the Padma Shri and Pravasi Bharatiya award, he added.
Minister for Co-operation, C N Balakrishnan presided. Chairman of the Joint Parliamentary committee, P C Chacko, MP released the souvenir on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon