Mild tremors shake Kerala`s Idukki district
Idukki: A mild tremor measuring 3.2 on
the Richter scale was felt on Saturday in Idukki district, where the
116-year-old Mullaperiyar Dam over which Kerala and Tamil Nadu
are at loggerheads with conflicting claims about its safety is
No damage to property or injury to people was reported.
The tremor occurred at 3.15 hrs and its epicentre lay at
9.7 degree north latitude and 77.7 degree east longitude. The
focal depth of the quake was 10 km, according to PS Biju,
Director of Indian Meteorological Department centre here.
People in different parts of Idukki and the adjoining areas
of Kottayam district said they experienced mild vibrations in
the wee hours.
The area had recorded as many as 21 mild quakes since
January this year with Kerala citing it as a threat to the dam
and insisting on building a new reservoir to replace the
existing one which it contends is weak.
However, holding a contradictory view, Tamil Nadu has
opposed construction of a new dam, asserting that the present
reservoir "is as safe and good as new" and accused Kerala of
whipping up fear psychosis.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- PM Narendra Modi's gift on Maha Shivaratari: A 112-foot face of Lord Shiva - Read details