Minister vows to quit smoking on mom`s 80th birthday
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Labour Minister Shibu Baby John has decided to give up cigarettes, his "companion" for the past 32 years, as a birthday gift for his mother who turns 80 on Sunday.
"My ammachi (mother) is turning 80, this Sunday and I have decided that as my gift to her, I will forego my `companion`. I know it`s going to be a tough ask because now I smoke more than 30 cigarettes a day and have been doing it for so many years," John, took his first puff as a schoolboy, said.
The 49-year-old second time legislator is the son of legendary trade union leader and veteran politician Baby John who passed away in 2008.
John recalled that he had tried stopping smoking a few times without success, and the last such occasion was after he was made a minister for the first time last May.
" I could not stop it, but this time I will, we will wait and see," said John, the lone legislator of the Revolutionary Socialist Party (Baby John) and elected from the Chavara constituency, which his father represented for more than three decades.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- UN General Assembly President-elect calls on PM Narendra Modi
- Vijay Mallya deliberately concealing his assets, banks to SC
- Sushant Singh Rajput, Kriti Sanon went for a Thailand vacation? Here's the truth!
- Bulandshahr rape: SC pulls up UP Govt, Azam Khan over controversial remark - Details inside
- Scorpene data leak 'a matter of serious concern', asked DCNS for urgent probe: Navy Chief Sunil Lanba