Minister vows to quit smoking on mom`s 80th birthday
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Labour Minister Shibu Baby John has decided to give up cigarettes, his "companion" for the past 32 years, as a birthday gift for his mother who turns 80 on Sunday.
"My ammachi (mother) is turning 80, this Sunday and I have decided that as my gift to her, I will forego my `companion`. I know it`s going to be a tough ask because now I smoke more than 30 cigarettes a day and have been doing it for so many years," John, took his first puff as a schoolboy, said.
The 49-year-old second time legislator is the son of legendary trade union leader and veteran politician Baby John who passed away in 2008.
John recalled that he had tried stopping smoking a few times without success, and the last such occasion was after he was made a minister for the first time last May.
" I could not stop it, but this time I will, we will wait and see," said John, the lone legislator of the Revolutionary Socialist Party (Baby John) and elected from the Chavara constituency, which his father represented for more than three decades.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!