Minister`s resignation: Uproar in Kerala Assembly
Thiruvananthapuram: The resignation of Forest Minister K B Ganesh Kumar following allegations of domestic violence had its echo in the Kerala Assembly today where opposition LDF demanded that Chief Minister Oommen Chandy should step down on moral grounds.
As soon as the Assembly began its proceedings, the LDF members were on their feet alleging Chandy had lost moral right to remain in office as he "misled" the House over the complaint by Yamini Thankachi against her husband.
Though Speaker G Karthikeyan sought to pacify the agitated members saying the issue could be discussed during zero hour, they persisted with their demand forcing the House to be adjourned temporarily within few minutes after question hour.
Kumar, who belongs to Kerala Congress (B), a single-MLA constituent of the ruling UDF, resigned late last night after his wife lodged a complaint against him in a police station.
Kumar, who had rejected his wife`s allegation as "totally baseless" and even ruled out resigning from the ministry, however, tendered his resignation to the Chief Minister.
Sources in the Chief Minister`s Office said the resignation letter will be forwarded to the Governor today.
The long-running family dispute reached a flashpoint yesterday with Kumar filing a divorce petition in a local court. Yamini had alleged that she had been a victim of domestic violence for the last 16 years and accused her husband of having "illicit affairs", while Kumar retorted saying he was a victim of "black mailing".
In the wake of embarrassment caused by the incident, the ruling UDF top leaders are said to have advised Kumar to quit leading to his resignation.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'