Monorail viable in Kozhikode: Sreedharan
Kozhikode: With `Metroman` E Sreedharan on Sunday stating that monorail is "viable" in Kozhikode, things look bright for realisation of the long-pending dream of the people in the city for a mass transit system that would ease traffic congestion.
"Monorail system is viable in Kozhikode city," the former Delhi Metro Rail Corporation Chief told reporters after conducting a survey of the alignment for the proposed monorail project.
The funding and other matters would be decided after the proposed discussions with the Kerala Public Works Minister V K Ebrahim Kunju, to be held tomorrow.
Kozhikode District Collector P B Salim accompanied Sreedharan during his visit to the proposed site. The feasibility report was prepared by Bangalore-based Wilbur Smith Associates.
As per the plan, the monorail will be established from Government Medical College to Meenchanda, a 13-km stretch in the first phase, and in the second phase it would cover the distance from Meenchanda to Ramanattukara. The expected cost
as per 2011 estimates is Rs 950 crore.
The proposed monorail would pass through major areas in the city, including Mavoor road, Mananchira, Palayam and Kallai, and also will give access to the mofussil bus and railway stations.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today