Monsoon onset over Kerala expected on June 3: IMD
New Delhi: The crucial south-west monsoon is expected to bring its first showers to Kerala on June 3, a slight delay that could be attributed to the cyclone activity over the Bay of Bengal.
"Southwest monsoon onset over Kerala is likely to be on June 3," Chief Monsoon Forecaster, India Meteorological Department (IMD), D Sivananda Pai told PTI here.
Pai admitted that it was a slight delay than the usual onset date of June one.
The delay could be attributed to cyclone Mahasen that is churning the Bay of Bengal packing wind speed of 90 kmph. It is expected to make landfall near Chittagong coast in Bangladesh tomorrow night.
"Cyclonic activity weakens monsoon flow. It takes some time to reorganise," Pai said when asked about reasons for the delay in onset over Kerala.
While Mahasen is expected to delay rains over Kerala, the strong cyclonic winds are driving monsoon flow over Andamans where the onset is expected by Friday.
"This year, under the influence of tropical cyclone `Mahasen` currently located over the central Bay of Bengal, low level cross equatorial monsoon flow has appeared over south Andaman Sea and adjoining south Bay of Bengal," the weather office said.
Andaman and Nicobar Islands usually receive monsoon showers between May 10 and May 20.
Last month, the weather office had forecast normal monsoon this year with overall rainfall expected to be 98 per cent of the long period average.
Monsoon is crucial for the kharif crops such as rice, soyabean, cotton and maize because almost 60 per cent of the farm land in the country is rainfed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj