More arrests likely in rape of 13-year-old in Kerala
Kannur: After arresting the father, brother and an uncle for the rape of a 13-year-old in Kerala, police say more people may be taken into custody.
The girl would have met a horrid fate, like her elder sister two years ago, if not for her teacher and a Congress activist, Suma Balakrishnan.
Speaking to IANS, Suma said the distraught girl told her teacher that she would commit suicide like her sister. The teacher took up the matter with the headmaster, and the matter finally reached police.
Following her statements, her father, her 15-year-old brother and an uncle were arrested last week, said Suma.
When the girl`s sister died, it was claimed that her death was caused by a stove explosion.
Suma said they had approached Home Minister T Radhakrishnan seeking a thorough probe into the earlier death as well and the arrest of all those involved in the two crimes.
Additional Director General of Police N Shankar Reddy told IANS that the police were on the right track.
"The investigating team has spoken to the victim. The earlier incident is also before us and, if need be, will be looked into," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves