Mother moves Kerala HC after minor forcibly married to UAE national
Kochi: The Kerala High Court on Friday directed the state government to file its reply on a petition filed by the mother of a minor who was forcibly married to a UAE national and later abandoned, seeking proper investigation and prosecution of real culprits.
Giving the directive, Justice P Bhavadasan posted the case after ten days for hearing. The petitioner submitted that her 17-year-old daughter belonging to Malappuram District was forced to marry a foreign citizen from UAE against the victim`s "wish and will".
The minor was raped and later abandoned by her husband. There were ten accused, including the UAE national Jasim Mohammed Abdul Kareem, in the case registered by Malappuram Police. But no action had been taken to arrest the accused and to procure the presence of the UAE citizen, the petitioner submitted.
She sought a direction to extradite the UAE citizen, the first accused in the case, and to entrust in investigation to a superior officer for a proper and effective probe.
The issue came to light in August when the girl, approached the Child Welfare Committee alleging that the charity home authorities, where she had been staying, forced her to marry the man from UAE.
The girl`s plight triggered demands for a strong legislation to check the social menace known in local parlance as `Arabi Kalyanam` (Arab wedding) in which minor Muslim girls are forced into marriage with Arab nationals without their consent.
Amid the public outcry Police had booked the UAE national and nine others.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion