Move to hand over `train sabotage` case to NIA sparks row
Kozhikode/Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala
government`s decision to refer to the NIA the probe into
Nilambur train sabotage attempt case today triggered a wordy
duel between Union Minister of State for Home Mullappally
Ramachandran and state Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan.
The LDF government should clarify as to what prompted the
state to seek an NIA probe into the incident, Ramachandran
said at Kozhikode.
Ramachandran, while talking to reporters, sought to know
whether it was an admission that the investigation machinery
was weak under the LDF government.
"I do not believe that police system in the state had
weakened. If the state Home Minister asks, I am ready to give
the names of able officers in Kerala police to conduct the
probe," he said.
Reacting to Ramachandran`s statement, Balakrishnan told
reporters in the state capital that, in fact the Union
Minister should have welcomed the state`s decision to refer
the case to the central agency.
While deciding to refer the case to NIA, the state had
also taken into account the earlier statement of Ramachandran
that the role of subversive elements in the incident could not
be ruled out.
"We are keen that an effective probe should take place in
the case. Hurling criticism against the state government would
not help. What is required is joint efforts to solve the
case," Balakrishnan said.
Balakrishnan had said in the state Assembly yesterday
that the state would ask the Centre for an NIA probe in the
case since the investigation so far had found possible
involvement of subversive elements in damaging the braking
system of a stationary train at Nilambur in Malappuram
district last week.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know