Mullaperiyar agitators march to Justice Thomas`s residence
Kottayam: Amid reports that the Supreme Court Empowered Committee on Mullaperiyar had found that the 119-year-old Mullaperiyar dam was safe, Kerala Water Resources Minister PJ Joseph on Saturday maintained that a new dam was the only solution to the long dispute with Tamil Nadu.
A group of protesters marched to the residence of panel member, former supreme court Judge KT Thomas, here alleging that he did not support the state`s cause.
Talking to reporters, Joseph said the state Government stood firm by the resolution passed by the Kerala assembly which held that a new dam was essential to ensure security of the people as the existing structure was unsafe.
Joseph also made some comments against Justice Thomas alleging that he did not support the state`s cause.
Reacting sharply to the minister`s comment, Thomas said Joseph was making statements without studying the contents of the report and his criticism was uncalled for.
Thomas said Joseph was trying to whip up sentiments over the issue by making wrong statements and he would bring the matter to the attention of the Supreme Court.
Meanwhile, a march was taken out to Thomas`s residence in the town by activists of `Mullaperiyar Samara Samiti` alleging that he had betrayed the state`s cause.The march was stopped by police before it reached the residence.
While Tamil Nadu has been maintaining that the dam was "absolutely safe" and the water level can be raised to 142 ft, Kerala has been insisting that it be maintained at 136 feet, besides a new dam to replace the existing structure.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video