Mullaperiyar: Budget earmarks Rs 50 cr for new dam
Thiruvanathapuram: Reiterating its commitment
to build a new dam at Mullaperiyar in place of the existing
116 year-old structure there, Kerala budget on Monday set apart
Rs 50 crore for initial expense for the construction.
Presenting the budget for the year 2012-2013, Finance
Minister K M Mani termed the dam safety issue as "volatile"
and "very serious."
He said the new dam is planned to be built 1300 ft beneath
the existing dam in keeping with the state`s policy of "water
for Tamil Nadu and safety for Kerala.`
The existing dam posed a threat to the life and assets of
lakhs of people living downstream in five districts in the
state, he said.
But Tamil Nadu, which gets water from the dam to irrigate
five districts, is opposed to Kerala`s stand, holding that
it is strong as the state has taken up periodical maintenance.
The dispute is now before the Supreme Court, which has
appointed an Empowered Committee to examine the safety and
other aspects of the present dam.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir