Mullaperiyar: Budget earmarks Rs 50 cr for new dam
Thiruvanathapuram: Reiterating its commitment
to build a new dam at Mullaperiyar in place of the existing
116 year-old structure there, Kerala budget on Monday set apart
Rs 50 crore for initial expense for the construction.
Presenting the budget for the year 2012-2013, Finance
Minister K M Mani termed the dam safety issue as "volatile"
and "very serious."
He said the new dam is planned to be built 1300 ft beneath
the existing dam in keeping with the state`s policy of "water
for Tamil Nadu and safety for Kerala.`
The existing dam posed a threat to the life and assets of
lakhs of people living downstream in five districts in the
state, he said.
But Tamil Nadu, which gets water from the dam to irrigate
five districts, is opposed to Kerala`s stand, holding that
it is strong as the state has taken up periodical maintenance.
The dispute is now before the Supreme Court, which has
appointed an Empowered Committee to examine the safety and
other aspects of the present dam.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!