Mullaperiyar: PC Thomas undertakes padyatra
Kochi: Demanding an amicable settlement of the Mullaperiyar Dam issue, former Union Minister PC Thomas on Monday launched a padyatra from this city to Kumily in Idukki district.
Thomas along with his followers began the journey from Rajendra Maidan here this morning after garlanding a statue of Mahatma Gandhi.
Citing safety concerns, Kerala has been insisting on building a new dam in place of the more than 116-year-old structure, a stand opposed by Tamil Nadu, which controls the existing reservoir that irrigates five southern districts in
the state, saying it was as safe as a new one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing