Mullaperiyar: PC Thomas undertakes padyatra
Kochi: Demanding an amicable settlement of the Mullaperiyar Dam issue, former Union Minister PC Thomas on Monday launched a padyatra from this city to Kumily in Idukki district.
Thomas along with his followers began the journey from Rajendra Maidan here this morning after garlanding a statue of Mahatma Gandhi.
Citing safety concerns, Kerala has been insisting on building a new dam in place of the more than 116-year-old structure, a stand opposed by Tamil Nadu, which controls the existing reservoir that irrigates five southern districts in
the state, saying it was as safe as a new one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report