Mullaperiyar report not a `victory` against Kerala
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi on Saturday said that the Supreme Court Empowered Committee report on Mullaperiyar dam`s safety should not be construed as a `victory` against Kerala, and it was only a matter of upholding Tamil Nadu`s rights.
"There is no war happening between Tamil Nadu and Kerala and this is not a matter of victory or loss. It is only a matter of upholding of our rights," he told reporters here.
On the Committee`s report vouching for the safety of the 119 year-old dam and that there was no need for a new structure, Karunanidhi said, "that is what we have been saying."
The Empowered Committee had on Friday in its report vouched for the safety of the 119 year-old dam, which has led to a stand-off between Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
Kerala insists that the existing dam be demolished on the grounds of safety while Tamil Nadu holds that it is strong.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by Fadnavis, Rijiju; Aviation Minister apologises
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army