Mullaperiyar report not a `victory` against Kerala
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi on Saturday said that the Supreme Court Empowered Committee report on Mullaperiyar dam`s safety should not be construed as a `victory` against Kerala, and it was only a matter of upholding Tamil Nadu`s rights.
"There is no war happening between Tamil Nadu and Kerala and this is not a matter of victory or loss. It is only a matter of upholding of our rights," he told reporters here.
On the Committee`s report vouching for the safety of the 119 year-old dam and that there was no need for a new structure, Karunanidhi said, "that is what we have been saying."
The Empowered Committee had on Friday in its report vouched for the safety of the 119 year-old dam, which has led to a stand-off between Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
Kerala insists that the existing dam be demolished on the grounds of safety while Tamil Nadu holds that it is strong.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India