Munnar 2nd best tourist destination in Asia
Thiruvananthapuram: Munnar, the picturesque hill station in Kerala`s Idukki district, has been rated as the second best Asian tourism destination after Tokyo by TripAdvisor, a popular travel guide and research website.
"Millions of travellers rely on TripAdvisor for travel inspiration. So we are thrilled and humbled that Munnar has been honoured by travellers this year," said V. Venu, secretary, Kerala Tourism.
Munnar has won TripAdvisor’s 2010 Traveller’s Choice Destination award, which is determined by a combination of travellers` comments, unbiased reviews and overall popularity of the destination.
"With 15 million registered members, more than 34 million monthly visitors, and 30 million traveller reviews and opinions, TripAdvisor is no doubt the world`s most popular and largest travel community. So we are delighted and thrilled to learn that Munnar has been rated so well," Said M. Sivasankar, director, Kerala Tourism.
Munnar’s mountains, pristine valleys, sprawling tea plantations, and cool air have long been a favourite of Indian and foreign tourists.
In recent years, this beautiful hill station has been attracting adventure tourists. They are enamoured of the area’s stunning topography, which is ideal for paragliding, trekking and rock climbing.
Nature lovers usually make a beeline for the Eravikulam National Park, which is home to colourful wildlife, including the endangered Nilgiri Tahr (ibex), ruddy mongoose and 120 bird species.
Eight other Indian destinations -- Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Manali, Hampi, Goa, Udaipur, Gangtok, Bangalore and Dharamsala -- also figure in the top 25 Asian destinations list.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India