Munnar 2nd best tourist destination in Asia
Thiruvananthapuram: Munnar, the picturesque hill station in Kerala`s Idukki district, has been rated as the second best Asian tourism destination after Tokyo by TripAdvisor, a popular travel guide and research website.
"Millions of travellers rely on TripAdvisor for travel inspiration. So we are thrilled and humbled that Munnar has been honoured by travellers this year," said V. Venu, secretary, Kerala Tourism.
Munnar has won TripAdvisor’s 2010 Traveller’s Choice Destination award, which is determined by a combination of travellers` comments, unbiased reviews and overall popularity of the destination.
"With 15 million registered members, more than 34 million monthly visitors, and 30 million traveller reviews and opinions, TripAdvisor is no doubt the world`s most popular and largest travel community. So we are delighted and thrilled to learn that Munnar has been rated so well," Said M. Sivasankar, director, Kerala Tourism.
Munnar’s mountains, pristine valleys, sprawling tea plantations, and cool air have long been a favourite of Indian and foreign tourists.
In recent years, this beautiful hill station has been attracting adventure tourists. They are enamoured of the area’s stunning topography, which is ideal for paragliding, trekking and rock climbing.
Nature lovers usually make a beeline for the Eravikulam National Park, which is home to colourful wildlife, including the endangered Nilgiri Tahr (ibex), ruddy mongoose and 120 bird species.
Eight other Indian destinations -- Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Manali, Hampi, Goa, Udaipur, Gangtok, Bangalore and Dharamsala -- also figure in the top 25 Asian destinations list.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days