Muraleedharan "glad" on getting back to Congress
Thiruvananthapuram: Former KPCC president
K Muraleedharan Tuesday expressed happiness for the AICC`s
decision to take him back to the Congress but expressed
sorrow that his father K Karunanakaran was no more to share
the moment of joy.
"I am extremely happy that I am Congressman again. But I
am sad that my father is no more to share the joy",
Muraleedharan told reporters here shortly after AICC general
secretary Moshina Kidwai announced in New Delhi the decision
to take him back to the Congress
Asked if his return to the party would mean that he was
going to be a candidate in the state assembly polls due in
May, he said "All that I have asked was the basic membership
of the Congress and it is for the leadership to decide rest
A formal request for taking back Muraleedharan to the
party was made to the AICC president Sonia Gandhi by KPCC
president Ramesh Chennithala and the Congress Legislature
Party leader Oommen Chandy in Delhi today.
A former KPCC president, Muraleedharan split the Congress
in the state and floated his party DIC-K in May 2005,
following a grim phase of faction feud in the state unit
when the UDF Government headed by A K Antony was in power.
He was then slapped with a six-year suspension by the AICC
for breaking the party.
Though Karunakaran returned to the Congress after two years
of formation of the new outfit, Muraleedharan later dissolved
DIC-K after it proved an electoral flop and went on to head
the NCP in the state.
After his unsuccessful bid in the 2009 the Lok Sabha polls
as an NCP candidate from the Wayanad seat, Muraleedharan
resigned from the Sharad Pawar-led party and openly aired his
wish to be back in the Congress.
Karunakaran, who died in December, was also keen that his son
was taken back to the Congress.
Though initially, a section in the state leadership was
opposed to taking back Muraleedharan before the suspension
period was over, they also eased their stand in recent times,
especially after Karunakaran`s health condition worsened.
His return to the party also received support from the
party heavy-weights like A K Antony who advocated a "forget-
and-forgive" approach towards Muraleedharan.
The thinking in Congress circles in the state is that
Muraleedharan`s return would further strengthen the party-led
UDF combine when it is making a vigorous bid to capture power
in Kerala from the LDF in the assembly polls due in May.
Muraleedharan, who still enjoys some support base and personal
following, had worked for the UDF in the civic polls in last
October, in which the coalition put up a sterling performance
across the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22