Muslim body to move SC over marriageable age for community girls
Kozhikode: Holding that fixing marriageable age for Muslims was an encroachment into their religious rights, a newly constituted umbrella body of the community here has decided to move the Supreme Court seeking exemption from the minimum age limit of 18 years.
A meeting of the Kozhikode Muslim Personal Law Protection Committee comprising Muslim religious bodies resolved to take legal steps seeking exemption from marriage age restrictions for the community, a committee release said today.
It said the move for setting marriageable age for Muslim girls was a violation of Muslim Personal Law.
"Fixing marriage age for Muslims is an encroachment into the religious rights of the community and hence the state and central government need to take suitable steps in this regard," said the committee whose convenor is IUML state secretary MC Mayin Haji.
The committee`s decision comes in the backdrop of a raging debate over child marriage triggered by recent `Arabi kalyanam` (Arab wedding) of a minor girl with a UAE resident.
The 17-year-old girl from Kozhikode, living in an orphanage, was forced into marriage, again bringing to focus the evil practice prevalent in parts of the state.
In June last, a government circular directing local bodies to register marriages of Muslim girls above the age of 16 years and men below 21 years kicked up a row in the state. The government modified it later.
The committee`s meeting, held here yesterday, also expressed anxiety over attempts by certain corners to resort to inimical approach over steps taken for protecting the community`s interest, the release said.
It was attended among others by representatives of various organisations including Samastha Kerala Jem-Iyyathul Ulama, Kerala Naduvathul Mujahideen (KNM), Naduvathul Mujahideen Kerala, Jamaat-e-Islami, Kerala state Jemeyyathul Ulama and Muslim Service Society.
Samastha secretary Kottamala Bappu Musaliyar is the chairman of the committee while Samastha Employees Association general secretary Mustafa Mundoopara is the coordinator.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference