Muslims in Kerala begin Ramadan fasting
Thiruvananthapuram: Muslims in Kerala on Monday
began month-long fasting and prayers with the commencement of
the holy month of Ramadan of the Islamic calendar.
The faithful congregated in mosques across the state for
morning prayers marking the beginning of the spiritual
season of fasting, prayers and charity.
The community leaders had last evening declared the start
of Ramadan in Kerala on sighting of the new moon at Kappad
beach near Kozhikode.
Muslims account for nearly 25 per cent of Kerala`s total
population of 3.38 crore, mostly concentrated in the northern
district in the Malabar region.
Religious scholars and community leaders, including
Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) state president Panakkad
Syid Hyderali Shihab Thangal, called upon the believers to
"dedicate themselves to unflinching faith to the almighty."
Islamic NGOs and community outfits launched Ramadan
relief and charity activities throughout the state to help the
poor and needy in the society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery