Muslims in Kerala begin Ramadan fasting
Thiruvananthapuram: Muslims in Kerala on Monday
began month-long fasting and prayers with the commencement of
the holy month of Ramadan of the Islamic calendar.
The faithful congregated in mosques across the state for
morning prayers marking the beginning of the spiritual
season of fasting, prayers and charity.
The community leaders had last evening declared the start
of Ramadan in Kerala on sighting of the new moon at Kappad
beach near Kozhikode.
Muslims account for nearly 25 per cent of Kerala`s total
population of 3.38 crore, mostly concentrated in the northern
district in the Malabar region.
Religious scholars and community leaders, including
Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) state president Panakkad
Syid Hyderali Shihab Thangal, called upon the believers to
"dedicate themselves to unflinching faith to the almighty."
Islamic NGOs and community outfits launched Ramadan
relief and charity activities throughout the state to help the
poor and needy in the society.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video