Muslims in Kerala celebrate Bakrid
Thiruvananthapuram: Muslims in Kerala Friday celebrated Bakrid with prayers and acts of charity, recalling the unflinching faith and dedication shown by Prophet Ibrahim to the Almighty.
The faithful thronged mosques and specially arranged Id-gahs across the state in the morning for prayers, where Imams and religious scholars gave out the Id message of total dedication to God, universal love and compassion.
Actor Mammootty was among hundreds, who turned up to offer namaz at the Id gah in Kochi.
The believers hugged each other after the prayers, reinforcing the sense of brotherhood and harmony.
At homes, sumptuous feasts were cooked, dominated by delicious items from the Kerala Muslim cuisine blending the best of the local tradition with a West Asian touch, reflecting centuries old link of Keralites with the Arab world.
Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, Opposition leader V S Achuthandnan and leaders of various political parties greeted people on the occasion.
In his message, Indian Union Muslim League President and spiritual leader of Mappila Muslims, Panakkad Syid Hyderali Shihab Thangal, urged the believers to strive selflessly for the wellbeing of the society and the country displaying a deep sense of sacrifice.
He wanted the faithful to be vigilant against the evil designs of "vested interests" to create strife among different communities to secure their narrow goals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India