Muslims in Kerala celebrate Bakrid
Thiruvananthapuram: Muslims in Kerala celebrated Eid-ul-Azha, the festival of sacrifice, with hundreds of faithful thronging mosques and specially arranged Idgahs for the morning prayers in towns and villages across the state.
Giving out the Eid message, religious scholars exhorted the faithful to uphold the Islamic ideals of love, compassion and unflinching faith in the will of Almighty.
In the state capital, Eid namaz at the Payalam mosque in the heart of the city was led by Imam Jamaluddin Manakada.
In many places, religious and cultural organisations organised relief and charity programmes for the poor and needy.
Women also turned up for Eid prayer in most towns held in open places under clear sky.
Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, Opposition leader V S Achuthanandan, Indian Union Muslim League leader Panakkad Syyid Hyderali Thangal and leaders of other political parties greeted people on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack