Muslims in Kerala celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr
Thiruvananthapuram: Muslims in Kerala celebrated Eid-Ul-Fitr on Sunday, marking the culmination of the fasting month of Ramadan of the Islamic calendar.
The faithful thronged mosques and Idgahs in the morning to offer prayers and listen to sermons by religious scholars who called upon the devout to re-dedicate themselves to the lofty tenets of Islam like love, compassion, social harmony and fraternity.
The `khazis` in different parts of the state had last night declared sighting of the moon ushering in the Islamic month of Sawal.
The prayers were followed by sumptuous feasts at homes and visits from relatives and friends and exchange of gifts.
Muslim charitable organisations held functions across the state for distribution of new clothes and gifts to the under privileged.
Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, Opposition Leader V S Achuthanandan, Union Minister and IUML all-India president E Ahamed and leaders of various political parties greeted people on the occasion.
In his Eid message, IUML supremo Panakkad Hyderali Shihab Thngal reminded the faithful that it was important to conserve the spiritual strength derived from the Ramadan fasting all through their lives.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP