Muslims in Kerala celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr
Thiruvananthapuram: Muslims in Kerala celebrated Eid-Ul-Fitr on Sunday, marking the culmination of the fasting month of Ramadan of the Islamic calendar.
The faithful thronged mosques and Idgahs in the morning to offer prayers and listen to sermons by religious scholars who called upon the devout to re-dedicate themselves to the lofty tenets of Islam like love, compassion, social harmony and fraternity.
The `khazis` in different parts of the state had last night declared sighting of the moon ushering in the Islamic month of Sawal.
The prayers were followed by sumptuous feasts at homes and visits from relatives and friends and exchange of gifts.
Muslim charitable organisations held functions across the state for distribution of new clothes and gifts to the under privileged.
Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, Opposition Leader V S Achuthanandan, Union Minister and IUML all-India president E Ahamed and leaders of various political parties greeted people on the occasion.
In his Eid message, IUML supremo Panakkad Hyderali Shihab Thngal reminded the faithful that it was important to conserve the spiritual strength derived from the Ramadan fasting all through their lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi