Muslims in Kerala celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr
Thiruvananthapuram: Muslims in Kerala celebrated Eid-Ul-Fitr on Sunday, marking the culmination of the fasting month of Ramadan of the Islamic calendar.
The faithful thronged mosques and Idgahs in the morning to offer prayers and listen to sermons by religious scholars who called upon the devout to re-dedicate themselves to the lofty tenets of Islam like love, compassion, social harmony and fraternity.
The `khazis` in different parts of the state had last night declared sighting of the moon ushering in the Islamic month of Sawal.
The prayers were followed by sumptuous feasts at homes and visits from relatives and friends and exchange of gifts.
Muslim charitable organisations held functions across the state for distribution of new clothes and gifts to the under privileged.
Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, Opposition Leader V S Achuthanandan, Union Minister and IUML all-India president E Ahamed and leaders of various political parties greeted people on the occasion.
In his Eid message, IUML supremo Panakkad Hyderali Shihab Thngal reminded the faithful that it was important to conserve the spiritual strength derived from the Ramadan fasting all through their lives.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living