Muslims in Kerala celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr
Thiruvananthapuram: Muslims in Kerala celebrated Eid-Ul-Fitr on Sunday, marking the culmination of the fasting month of Ramadan of the Islamic calendar.
The faithful thronged mosques and Idgahs in the morning to offer prayers and listen to sermons by religious scholars who called upon the devout to re-dedicate themselves to the lofty tenets of Islam like love, compassion, social harmony and fraternity.
The `khazis` in different parts of the state had last night declared sighting of the moon ushering in the Islamic month of Sawal.
The prayers were followed by sumptuous feasts at homes and visits from relatives and friends and exchange of gifts.
Muslim charitable organisations held functions across the state for distribution of new clothes and gifts to the under privileged.
Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, Opposition Leader V S Achuthanandan, Union Minister and IUML all-India president E Ahamed and leaders of various political parties greeted people on the occasion.
In his Eid message, IUML supremo Panakkad Hyderali Shihab Thngal reminded the faithful that it was important to conserve the spiritual strength derived from the Ramadan fasting all through their lives.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family