MV Prabhu Daya: Sailor arrested by Kerala police
Chennai: A sailor on board M V Prabhu Daya,
suspected to have been involved in the March 1 hit-and-run sea
mishap off Kerala coast that left three fishermen dead, was
today arrested by Kerala Police officials probing the case.
"We have completed our preliminary investigations in the
case and have arrested one sailor from the ship. He is from
Gujarat. We will be taking him to Kochi. However, we will
interrogate the captain of the ship again," K Mahesh Kumar,
Deputy Superintendent of Police of Alappuzha, camping here for
the case, told PTI.
The officer also indicated that the Singapore-flagged
vessel, now anchored off Chennai coast, would be moved to
Kochi port to facilitate further investigations.
Kerala Police had framed charges against three crew
members -- one second officer (now in Sri Lanka), captain
and the sailor -- under IPC section 304 (culpable homicide not
amounting to murder).
The second officer allegedly jumped off M V Prabhu Daya
on March 3 and was rescued by a Sri Lankan fishing boat the
next day. He was treated at a Sri Lankan naval hospital and
later transferred to Trincomalee Government Hospital, where he
is now "recuperating".
Asked about the second officer, he said, "We will wait
for him to come back. At present, he is being treated for
Meanwhile, Kerala Police Inspector General K Padmakumar
(Alappuzha Range) met city Police Commissioner J K Tripathy
here. "Kerala Police sought support from our side. Chennai
Police will extend all support...," Tripathy said.
Kerala Police officials had interrogated the crew over
the past three days. However, a probe into the hit-and-run
incident by a team of officials from Mercantile Marine
Department is still on.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- 7th CPC: Who else is going to benefit from central govt employees' pay hike?
- Sanjeev Rajput wins silver in 50m Rifle 3 Positions
- Google Maps introduces HD satellite imagery from Landsat 8 – Enjoy the view!
- Black money window: I-T dept creates special tab on website
- India's growth may dip by 0.60% on Brexit, predicts Morgan Stanley