Naval divers locate wreckage of boat hit by tanker
Kochi: Naval divers on Saturday night found the wreckage of the fishing boat which was hit by a tanker off Alappuzha coast resulting in the death of two Kerala fishermen even as the search for three other missing persons continued.
A 10-member Navy`s diving team from the Southern Naval Command here reached the location where the collision had occurred and found the wreckage of `Don-1` lying at the bottom of the sea at 47 meters with boats cabin damaged and fuel
still leaking, a Navy press release tonight said.
However, the hull was relatively intact. The boat was also enveloped by a maze of fishing nets making it hazardous forthe divers to attempt entering it in fading light.
The divers would continue tomorrow efforts to locate possible bodies of any missing fishermen inside the boat, it said.
Naval authorities had deployed INS Sarvekshak fitted with side scan sonar capable of detecting underwater objects to the area yesterday to locate the sunken boat.
Navy and Coast Guard ships, meanwhile, continued the search for the three missing fishermen, official sources said.
The collision in the wee hours of Thursday had happened within two weeks after two fishermen were shot dead allegedly by marines onboard Italian merchant ship Enrica Lexie.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing