Naval divers locate wreckage of boat hit by tanker
Kochi: Naval divers on Saturday night found the wreckage of the fishing boat which was hit by a tanker off Alappuzha coast resulting in the death of two Kerala fishermen even as the search for three other missing persons continued.
A 10-member Navy`s diving team from the Southern Naval Command here reached the location where the collision had occurred and found the wreckage of `Don-1` lying at the bottom of the sea at 47 meters with boats cabin damaged and fuel
still leaking, a Navy press release tonight said.
However, the hull was relatively intact. The boat was also enveloped by a maze of fishing nets making it hazardous forthe divers to attempt entering it in fading light.
The divers would continue tomorrow efforts to locate possible bodies of any missing fishermen inside the boat, it said.
Naval authorities had deployed INS Sarvekshak fitted with side scan sonar capable of detecting underwater objects to the area yesterday to locate the sunken boat.
Navy and Coast Guard ships, meanwhile, continued the search for the three missing fishermen, official sources said.
The collision in the wee hours of Thursday had happened within two weeks after two fishermen were shot dead allegedly by marines onboard Italian merchant ship Enrica Lexie.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands