Navy inducts auxiliary craft
Kochi: The Navy on Monday inducted an
auxiliary craft, `Pradayak`, capable of carrying 400 tonnes of fuel and 100 tonnes of aviation fuel.
`Pradayak`, part of the fleet of auxiliaries of the Naval ship repair yard here, can also carry 50 tonnes each of provisions and fresh water.
The vessel is named after a ship which was decommissioned in 2007.
Rear Admiral S Madhusudanan, Superintendent of Naval Ship Repair Yard (NSRY), who was the chief guest at the induction ceremony, expressed optimism that the barge would enable faster turnaround of warships at Kochi.
He complimented the The Shalimar World Limited of Howrah, a 125 year-old company and presently wholly owned by the West Bengal government, for delivering the vessel in seven months, a defence press release said.
Somdev Chatterjee, managing director of Shalimar Shipyard said, executing projects for the Indian Navy was a matter of great pride.
Three more auxiliaries - a tug, a ferry craft and a fuel barge - are scheduled to join the Naval yard in the near future, the release added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview