NCERT deletes adverse references to communities
Thiruvananthapuram: The National Council for Educational Research and Training has deleted certain `objectionable` references to Nadar and Ezhava communities of Kerala in history textbooks in view of protests.
The decision to revise the textbooks and issue them afresh from this academic session onwards was taken by a meeting of academics and NCERT authorities convened by Minister of state for Human Resources Development Shashi Tharoor.
In a statement, Tharoor on Friday welcomed the "prompt and corrective action" taken by NCERT to revise the content of history textbooks of classes 8 to 12 to avoid objectionable references regarding communities and individuals.
"It is matter of great satisfaction that the matter has been appropriately resolved by balancing the requirements of the various issues involved," Tharoor, elected to Lok Sabha from Thiruvananthapuram constituency, said.
Controversy has arisen over the language used in the NCERT history textbooks about "Nadar" and "Ezhava" communities and great social reformers.
The representatives of the communities met Tharoor over the issue and he immediately held a meeting with NCERT Director, the authors of the textbooks and several eminent academics to discuss the matter.
The meeting emphasised the importance of revising the material involved without violating either academic freedom or social sensibilities in view of strong sentiments.
Tharoor was informed by the NCERT that pursuant to the decision of the meeting the matter was taken up by the textbook development committee and the national monitoring committee, which approved the revisions.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Juno probe to make its closest approach to Jupiter tomorrow!
- SHOCKING! Diego Maradona claims Lionel Messi 'staged' international retirement - Here's why
- Marijuana compound may improve night vision
- Know how these two Mumbai brothers turned Rs 25 thousand into Rs 9,000 crores
- Seven killed in Mogadishu beach restaurant attack: Official