Never before so many union ministers from Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala was cheering as the state got the highest ever representation in the union cabinet. The number of ministers from the state went up from six to eight after Sunday`s reshuffle.
Among those sworn in were former undersecretary general of the UN, Shashi Tharoor, and five-time Congress Lok Sabha member Kodikunnil Suresh.
For Tharoor, it`s a return to being minister of state. Two and a half years ago he was forced to resign from the cabinet over allegations of a conflict of interest in his promotion of the IPL Kochi cricket team, which was linked to Sunanda Pushkar, the woman he married after stepping down as minister.
For 50-year-old Suresh, his elevation as minister comes as reward for being in the close company of Defence Minister A.K. Antony ever since he became a politician in the early eighties.
Kerala has 20 Lok Sabha members and nine Rajya Sabha members.
The six ministers already in the council of ministers from the state are: Defence Minister A.K. Antony, Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi, Minister of State for Agriculture, Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution K.V.Thomas, Minister of State for External Affairs E. Ahamed, Minister of State for Home Mulapally Ramachandran, and Minister of State for Power K.C. Venugopal.
Speaking to reporters here Sunday, state congress chief Ramesh Chennithala said that the induction of two new ministers from Kerala would prove hugely beneficial for the party in the next general elections.
"We are all happy for Suresh because this is the first time a dalit from the state has become a member of the union cabinet, after former president K.R. Narayanan. With regard to Tharoor, he is a known national and international figure; this is going to be very good for the state," Chennithala said.
Incidentally, with the latest reshuffle, all the four who represent Alappuzha district - Antony, Ravi, Venugopal and Suresh - have become ministers.
But former CPI M minister and senior party legislator G. Sudhakaran, who also hails from Alappuzha, said the reshuffle was just a little juggling before the next general elections.
"Who does not know that a minister of state in Delhi has no powers? Look at Venugopal. A lot of noise was created when he was sworn in, but what has he done since? Even Antony in the second UPA government has not been able to do much. So this is nothing but one little juggle before the next general elections," Sudhakaran said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015