`New company floated for Kerala mono rail project`
Kochi: A new company -- Kerala Mono Rail Cooperation -- has been floated to implement the Thiruvananthapuram-Kozhikode mono rail project, state Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said on Thursday.
The detailed project report for the land acquisition has been submitted by the government, he said after inaugurating the Infrastructure Conference 2012, here.
On the Rs 5,225 crore Kochi metro project, the foundation stone of which was laid by the Prime Minister this year, he said DMRC would take up the Kochi Metro Project and E Sreedhaaran will be heading it.
Infrastructure possibilities should be explored to the maximum for all-round development in the state. Infrastructure development would be taken up keeping in mind the environment aspects and the upcoming High Court building and Advocate General Office will be build under the Green Building Concept, he said.
To find solutions to traffic snarls, the government was planning to build flyovers in major cities and in the first phase, four flyovers would come up in Kochi city, Chandy said.
The 40-year-old PWD manual has been revised. In the first year of the Government, Rs 1200 crore had been allocated for Road Development and PWD used the fund productively, he said.
Public Works Department Minister VK Ibrahim Kunju said the state had granted Rs 4,692 crore for upgradation and rehabilitation of 1,204 km selected roads in the state.
The State Road will be brought under the Performance Maintenance Guarantee, where by contractors are bound to guarantee maintenance of roads for five years from laying.
In the first phase, the 75 km road to Sabirimala has been included in the heavy maintenance category under this provision and maintenance will be done soon, he said.
Meanwhile, it was announced during the event that Kerala Highway Research Institute will be upgraded to a centre of excellence and the technical support has been extended by the Spanish Company Elsamer.
The MoU was handed over to Aurelio Ruiz Rubio, the director of Elsamer, the Spanish company, in the presence of Chief Minister, PWD Minister, Water Resource Minister and MLAs.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'