New subsidy system in Kerala for APL
Thiruvananthapuram: In a move to check diversion of rice meant for Public Distribution System, Kerala government will deposit the subsidy component of rice given to APL card holders in their bank accounts from January next.
Addressing a press conference here, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy today said APL consumers would get 10 kg of rice at Rs 8.90 per kg. As regards the nine kg rice provided at a subsidised rate of Rs 6.90 per kg, the subsidy would be credited into the consumer`s bank account from January 1 next.
The BPL card holders would get their rice through RSVY (Rastriya Sam Vikas Yojana) bio-metric smart card after necessary upgradation work was carried out at the 14,620 ration shops in the state, he said.
The process of modernisation of ration shops was expected to be completed by January 2014 and new system for BPL card holders would be introduced from that date, Chandy said.
The revamping of the system would ensure that government subsidy of Rs 350 crore each to APL and BPL categories annually reached the beneficiaries, he said.
The step was also part of initiatives of the government to check price rise of essential commodities, he said.
Despite the subsidy, the open market price of rice was increasing, he said adding "this should not be allowed to happen".
With regard to market intervention, he said the government had sanctioned Rs 35 crore to the state Civil Supplies Corporation to take steps to check price rise of essential commodities.
The government would also take steps to ensure that the paddy procured from the farmers and converted into rice at the mills do reach the hands of BPL and APL consumers in the state, he said.
As per the current rates, BPL families would continue to receive 25 kg rice at Rs one per kg and will be provided with RSVY bio-metric smart card to enter the details of their purchases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA