New subsidy system in Kerala for APL
Thiruvananthapuram: In a move to check diversion of rice meant for Public Distribution System, Kerala government will deposit the subsidy component of rice given to APL card holders in their bank accounts from January next.
Addressing a press conference here, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy today said APL consumers would get 10 kg of rice at Rs 8.90 per kg. As regards the nine kg rice provided at a subsidised rate of Rs 6.90 per kg, the subsidy would be credited into the consumer`s bank account from January 1 next.
The BPL card holders would get their rice through RSVY (Rastriya Sam Vikas Yojana) bio-metric smart card after necessary upgradation work was carried out at the 14,620 ration shops in the state, he said.
The process of modernisation of ration shops was expected to be completed by January 2014 and new system for BPL card holders would be introduced from that date, Chandy said.
The revamping of the system would ensure that government subsidy of Rs 350 crore each to APL and BPL categories annually reached the beneficiaries, he said.
The step was also part of initiatives of the government to check price rise of essential commodities, he said.
Despite the subsidy, the open market price of rice was increasing, he said adding "this should not be allowed to happen".
With regard to market intervention, he said the government had sanctioned Rs 35 crore to the state Civil Supplies Corporation to take steps to check price rise of essential commodities.
The government would also take steps to ensure that the paddy procured from the farmers and converted into rice at the mills do reach the hands of BPL and APL consumers in the state, he said.
As per the current rates, BPL families would continue to receive 25 kg rice at Rs one per kg and will be provided with RSVY bio-metric smart card to enter the details of their purchases.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results LIVE: BJP registers emphatic win; PM Narendra Modi says it's a great start to 2017
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17