New subsidy system in Kerala for APL
Thiruvananthapuram: In a move to check diversion of rice meant for Public Distribution System, Kerala government will deposit the subsidy component of rice given to APL card holders in their bank accounts from January next.
Addressing a press conference here, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy today said APL consumers would get 10 kg of rice at Rs 8.90 per kg. As regards the nine kg rice provided at a subsidised rate of Rs 6.90 per kg, the subsidy would be credited into the consumer`s bank account from January 1 next.
The BPL card holders would get their rice through RSVY (Rastriya Sam Vikas Yojana) bio-metric smart card after necessary upgradation work was carried out at the 14,620 ration shops in the state, he said.
The process of modernisation of ration shops was expected to be completed by January 2014 and new system for BPL card holders would be introduced from that date, Chandy said.
The revamping of the system would ensure that government subsidy of Rs 350 crore each to APL and BPL categories annually reached the beneficiaries, he said.
The step was also part of initiatives of the government to check price rise of essential commodities, he said.
Despite the subsidy, the open market price of rice was increasing, he said adding "this should not be allowed to happen".
With regard to market intervention, he said the government had sanctioned Rs 35 crore to the state Civil Supplies Corporation to take steps to check price rise of essential commodities.
The government would also take steps to ensure that the paddy procured from the farmers and converted into rice at the mills do reach the hands of BPL and APL consumers in the state, he said.
As per the current rates, BPL families would continue to receive 25 kg rice at Rs one per kg and will be provided with RSVY bio-metric smart card to enter the details of their purchases.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India