Newspaper agents strike hits home delivery
Thiruvananthapuram: With the strike by a section of newspaper agents hitting doorstep deliveries in most parts of Kerala, government has convened a meeting of representatives of newspaper owners and agents on Monday to settle the agitation.
The talks would be mediated by state Labour Minister Shibu
Baby John as serious concern has been expressed by newspaper
industry and political leaders.
The strike has been sponsored by unions affiliated to
CPI-M`s trade union wing CITU demanding a hefty hike in the
The stir has seriously affected home delivery of newspapers in most parts of the state, barring Thiruvananthapuram, the state capital, for nearly a week.
The agents are demanding 50 per cent of the cover price of
a daily as their commission and additional service charge for
pull-outs and supplements. They are now getting 28 per cent of
the cover price as commission.
The strike has drawn flak from leaders of various parties
who said it amounted to violation of the freedom of the
press. They also wondered why the CITU exempted dailies owned
by political parties from the strike.
The managements alleged that the striking section was
threatening agents who were prepared to distribute newspapers.
Chief Minister Oommen Chandy had directed the police to
take strong action against those who were hindering others
from distributing newspapers, official sources said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi